The Planning Department advises the City Manager, City Council, the business community and the general public on general planning and regulatory development issues. The Planning Department is committed to providing the community with high-quality, proactive services and programs to enhance the quality of life of the City's residents, businesses and visitors, and to promote a well designed, sustainable, physically integrated, livable and economically diverse and prosperous community.
"The trouble with the future is that it usually arrives before we're ready for it."
Andrew H. Glasgow
The goal of our department is to serve our citizens and community by maintaining a quality place in which to live by:
- Developing liveable communities and maintaining our small town character.
- Revitalization of our Downtown and existing communities.
- Protecting and preserving our natural and historical resources and,
- Creating a diverse and sustainable economy to meet the growing demands of our expanding population.
- Development plans at and near the corners of US 301 and Pretty Pond Road have prompted the relocation of the traffic signal currently located at Merchants Square and Townview shopping centers to the intersection at Pretty Pond Road. The City is working with the Florida Department of Transportation on the project. Please click here to view an aerial image of the proposed relocation. You may contact the Planning Department at 813-780-0006 with any questions, comments or concerns.